the anthology begins...

here is our space. here is our thoughts, in free form, flowing blissfully and boundlessly in hopes of it being collected in the stream of our consciousness of who we are and where we are to be. tell the untold stories. share the veiled but present traditions. what does it mean to be "other"? what does it mean to be Southeast Asian Americans, who had our very roots tied and bounded by the invisible streaks of a historical war, the VietNam War, striving to grow in a country, we now call our own, America?

this is our-story. this is yourstory.

tell away: otherasian@gmail.com

Friday, May 12, 2006

The Headless Monster

by Timothy Aung

Normally in the exotic land of Burma it would be drenching with rain, but today only a light drizzle appeared. Only a few moments later, the light rain ran out of steam and the sun emerged to spread its warm rays. The wind wasn't harsh as usual but gentle and soothing.

It was a beautiful day for adventures. A day, a frolicking young boy can't ask better to dabble in his craft of mischief. So there I was, browsing through the foliage and moist ground, filled with crawling bugs and squirming critters. A jab here and a jab there, like a trained knight, I swiftly defeated the horde of bugs before me. Flee, flee I yell at the rest of the scurrying losers chasing them down enjoying the hunt. In my haste to annihilate the enemy, I ran into a mound of fire ants busy at work. That’s when I polymorph into a giant, stomping the ground with brutality. I must have been a vicious dictator in my past life.

After a while, my stomach started to rumble and grumble letting me know that food was necessary if I wanted to pursue more quests. I knew my aunt would be cooking dinner soon. In the distance, the sun was being covered by dark clouds, almost like a bad omen. That's when I heard the rustling of leaves behind me. I turned around with lightening quickness to face my new foe. Even a seasoned warrior of seven summers such as myself, having been through countless battles couldn’t prepare me for what I saw. The hairs behind my neck stood up straight as I looked upon it. It was a red creature, half my height with sharp talons. It moves furiously in a chaotic manner flapping its wing menacingly. All these things weren't as frightening as the fact that this monster was lacking a head. The leaves flew up in the air from its wrath as it turned towards me in its frenzy, suddenly rushing with blazing speed. Maybe it was all the ghost stories my cousin told me, maybe it was just the horrible visage I saw, maybe it was just instinct, just like how a prey runs from its predator. I let out a yelp like an injured dog and flee from the frightening beast with all the speed I could muster from my short legs. By the time the adrenaline ran out, I was quite a few houses down the road. I leaped behind a bush and sneaked a quick look, expecting to see the monster. But the road was devoid of anything intimidating.

My stomach groaned again and somehow that awoken something my aunt said earlier to me, something along the line of having chicken curry for dinner. I abruptly realized what happened and grinned sheepishly at myself. It was only when I was older that I truly understood this strange phenomenon. I was too young to know that chickens flap and flop around for about thirty seconds before they are totally dead. The adrenalin in the muscle tissue gives the bird convulsions, making it look like it was running from its inevitable doom.

Finally it was dinner time and after washing all the dirt and grimes from my hands, I took my place at the dinner table. There it was, the monster that chased me, smelling wonderful and looking tasty in the curry bowl. I pulled out one of the legs and look at with an evil intent. I bite into its flesh relishing the wonderful taste, devouring the leg with a satisfied grin. Revenge is tasty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home